BIEN Congress 2014 takes place at the Chancellor Day Hall, located at 3644 Peel Street Montreal on McGill’s Downtown Campus. The venue is centrally located and easily accessible by metro, bus or taxi and has plenty of accommodation options nearby.
Montreal is well-served by metro and city buses. The closest metro stop to the conference is Peel Street (Green Line). Visit the STM website for more info on Montreal Metro.
Transport from the airport into Montreal itself is also very easy. Taxi from/to the airport costs a fixed fair of $40. There is also a very regular 24 hour bus service (747 Airport Shuttle) which brings you directly to Lionel-Groulx metro stop, where you can take the Green Line metro directly to Peel Street. Total travel time with the bus service would be about 30-40mins depending on traffic and $10 day ticket will buy you access to both bus and metro for the day.
Plenary sessions and concurrent will be conducted in English but questions in French are welcome and accommodated.
The presentations and papers of the Congress will be available on the Congress website before the event (when submitted sufficiently in advance) and afterwards, in electronic format as PDF documents, podcasts, and other formats as appropriate.
There are plenty of good accommodation options within easy walking distance of the congress venue, suited for different budgets. Please note that as the congress takes place at the start of the famous Montreal Jazz Festival it is highly recommended to book early!
1)McGill Student Residences
BIEN Congress 2014 has reserved rooms (single and double) in several McGill Student Residences. Note that rooms will only be held till May 26, 2014.
- The Royal Victoria College (3425 University Street): Royal Victoria College offers accommodations in a Traditional Residence. Most of the rooms are singles (one person per room). They share bathroom and kitchen facilities with the other rooms on the floor. Included in the rooms are linen, soap, and towels. The rooms themselves are not air-conditioned; however, our front office rents out fans, kettles, and irons. There are no telephones provided in the rooms; however, there are payphones located in the lobby, and on some floors. There are computers with free access to internet in the study room located on the main floor (WI-FI also available for laptop computers). RATES: Single room: $45.00 / night + taxes ($51.74).
- New Residence Hall (3625 Parc Avenue): The New Residence Hall (former Renaissance Hotel) offers accommodation in single and double rooms, as well as suites. Each guestroom is equipped with a private washroom, air-conditioning, cable television, standard amenities, free-local calls and free high-speed internet access. Housekeeping service is provided daily. Underground parking is available at the rate of $20 per day. RATES: Single or double occupancy: $94.00 / night + taxes ($108.08); additional person: $15 / night + taxes (NB: maximum 4 people per room).
- Carrefour (475 Sherbrooke West): Carrefour Sherbrooke provides hotel-style accommodations in single and double rooms, as well as suites, located on Sherbrooke Street West. First class shopping, restaurants and art galleries, outdoor cafés and street festivals are all around the corner. RATES: Single or double occupancy: $104.00 / night + taxes ($119.57); additional person: $15 / night + taxes.
- La Citadelle (410 Sherbrooke Street West): Our newest residence is located in the heart of the action on Sherbrooke Street West, just steps from McGill’s downtown campus and Eaton center. This hotel-style residence was completely renovated from top to bottom and boasts a 26th floor common space and fitness center with breathtaking views of the city and mountains, a definite must see! RATES: Single or double occupancy: $113.00 / night + taxes ($129.92); additional person: $15 / night + taxes.
BOOKING: To make a reservation, contact the residence by phone at 514-398-5200, by fax at 514-398-4521, or by email at [email protected], indicating Name of the Residence of your choice; Name, Address & Phone number; Arrival & Departure date (check in is 3PM and check out is 11AM); Type of Room requested & Number of guests; Visa, MasterCard, or Amex number with expiration date and cardholder’s name. To receive the congress discount rate, mention “BIEN Congress 2014″ with your reservation.
2) Hotel Omni Montreal (1050 Sherbrooke Street West)
Hotel Omni Mont-Royal is situated along the historic and trendy Sherbrooke Street neighborhood in the heart of the downtown’s Golden Square Mile and steps away from McGill University. The newly transformed 299 guest rooms and suites are true retreats of serenity and relaxation with a residential feel. Elegant and graceful, the décor serves as a comfortable backdrop for both work and leisure. Known for its unparalleled customer service, the Hotel Omni Mont-Royal is rated four-star by Hébergement Québec and four-diamond by AAA/CAA. Updated amenities at the hotel provide everything required for an enjoyable stay: Alice Bar, Le Petit Opus Café, and many versatile meeting rooms.. A timeless emblem of the Montreal tourist landscape, the Hotel Omni Mont-Royal strives to give guests an unforgettable experience infused with an authentic flair, a modern ethos, and a blend of warmth, comfort and elegance.
RATES (at McGill corporate discount)
* Deluxe Room: $188.00 (tax included), per room, per night
* Premium Room: $212.00 (tax included), per room, per night
BOOKING: Guests can reserve their rooms by Phone at +1-514-284-1110 or by Email at [email protected] and mentioning “BIEN Congress/McGill Corporate Rate”.
3) Other accommodation
There are many other accommodation options for those keen to explore options, including:
* https://www.airbnb.ca/ (private accommodation for rooms or whole flats to share)