The Basic Income Canada Network (BICN) is a voluntary, non-profit, non-partisan organization that originated in 2008 in affiliation with Basic Income Earth Network at the international level. BICN promotes informed, constructive public dialogue leading to a basic income guarantee in Canada. Click here for a summary of what we do and how we are funded.
BICN is composed of people interested in basic income issues and who come from many walks of life. We include people who are struggling to meet basic needs and those who are financially well-off. We include researchers, activists, policy analysts, professionals, business people and other people of diverse backgrounds, interests and skills. We respect that everyone brings different talent, viewpoints and experience to the basic income conversation and that the input of all is valuable.
BICN believes that principles including universality, non-conditionality, security, autonomy, dignity, and economic and gender equality should guide basic income dialogue and design. BICN does not endorse any particular model of basic income. Basic income must be given serious public policy attention so that Canadians can decide.
Board of Directors (2015)
The Basic Income Canada Network is governed and led by a volunteer board of directors. Our board includes people with vast knowledge of basic income, poverty, homelessness and related subjects, and public policy making in Canada. Among the board are people who, as well, have the lived experience of poverty.
- Sheila Regehr, Chairperson (Toronto, ON)
- James Mulvale, PhD, Vice Chairperson (Winnipeg, MB)
- Pierre Stevens, Treasurer (Halifax, NS)
- Jenna van Draanen, Secretary (Toronto, ON)
- Hon. Eleni Bakopanos (Montréal, QC)
- Jurgen De Wispelaere (Montréal, QC)
- Dan Meades (St. John’s, NL)
- Sharon Murphy (Halifax, NS)
- John Rook, PhD (Calgary, AB)
- Paul Vallée (Ottawa, ON)
Click here for biosketches of Board members.
Ex-officio advisors to the Board
- Kelly Ernst (Past Chair), Calgary, AB
- Chandra Pasma (Policy), Ottawa, ON
- Thomas Allgoewer (Fundraising), Ottawa, ON
Council of Canadians
The Basic Income Canada Network receives advice from our Council of Canadians – eminent people who contribute to Canada in significant ways and who support basic income. The inaugural Council members are:
- Philip Berger, MD, physician, Toronto
- Mark Chamberlain, business leader, Hamilton
- Danielle Martin, MD, physician, Toronto
- Dennis Raphael, PhD, public health expert, Toronto
Click here for biosketches of the members of BICN’s Council of Canadians.
For more information contact us by email at: info[at]biencanada.ca
Or by mail at Basic Income Canada Network, 723-1500 Bank Street, Ottawa, ON K1H 1B8